This has been one of my all time favorite soup recipes and one I have been making for many years. Despite the simple ingredients, it is bursting with flavor and is a quick and easy dinner. I usually make extra to freeze. During the week when my husband and I are working we have easy, quick dinners to make right from the freezer!
- 1 Package tortellini (8 oz)
- 1/4 lb bacon,cut in strips
- 3 medium cloves garlic, peeled an thinly sliced
- 4 cups washed and coarsely chopped escarole
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (1 lb.) small white beans, undrained
- 1 can (28 oz.) Italian plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 Medium Yellow and 1 Red Pepper cut into 1/4 inch cubes
In dutch oven or large saucepan cook bacon and garlic until bacon is browned. Remove bacon with slotted spoon. In drippings, cook escarole 5 minutes or until wilted.
Stir in broth, beans and their liquid, tomatoes, and peppers. Bring to boiliing. Stir in tortellini, bacon and garlic and heat approximately 30 minutes longer, ensuring tortellini is cooked.
Serve and enjoy!