I love experimenting with pasta – so for the holidays I made homemade ravioli in Christmas colors. I used spinach to create the green dough and beets to make the red dough. You can view my post here to see how I make the stripes. The recipe I use for all my pasta is here. It’s really quite festive, don’t you agree? It can be stuffed with anything; this particular ravioli was filled with sausage filling.
Sausage Ravioli Filling (Source: Better Homes & Gardens)
Makes: 6 servings Yield: 1 cup filling (enough for 6 servings)
- 4 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup packed fresh spinach leaves
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up sausage as it cooks. Stir in spinach; cook and stir until wilted. Drain off fat. If mixture is too coarse to stuff ravioli, transfer to a food processor or blender; cover and process or blend with several on/off pulses until chopped.
2. In a medium bowl, combine egg yolk, ricotta cheese, sage, and nutmeg. Stir in sausage mixture. Cover and chill until needed.