I’m always on the lookout for new recipes for vegetables. This recipe was a winner! It is easy and quite tasty. I made the recipe as written, but I think next time instead of roasting the zucchini in the oven I would grill the zucchini and then finish roasting in the oven to melt the cheese.
Be sure to pack stuffing tightly in the zucchini shells so it doesn’t fall out as it cooks.
- 4 medium zucchini, (6 to 8 ounces each), halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 7 1/2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Using a tablespoon, scoop out zucchini centers to form “canoes,” leaving a 1/4-inch border. Roughly chop centers; set aside.
- Arrange zucchini, cut sides down, on a rimmed baking sheet; bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add chopped zucchini, and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool slightly. Fold in feta and tomatoes.
- Turn hollowed-out zucchini cut sides up, fill with vegetable-feta mixture, and bake until top is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Lift zucchini from baking sheet with a wide spatula, and serve.
Source: Martha Stewart Recipes
Pingback: Holy Zucchini, Batman! That is a large squash! « Here We Go
Pingback: Japanese Zucchini and Onions « Battling The Bulge On A Budget