This is a wonderful salad with a homemade dressing. Homemade dressings are so very good and they take only minutes. Why buy store-bought dressing when you can have homemade in minutes and it tastes so much better!
Quinoa, Pomegranate, Almond and Feta Salad
(makes about 4 servings)
- ¼ cup white, black or red quinoa, rinsed thoroughly and drained in a sieve
- ½ cup water
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups greens – either all spinach, a mix of spring baby greens, or a combination of the two (I used combo)
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion (optional)
- 1 pomegranate, seeded (about 1 cup) (I could not find pomegranate and substituted dried cranberries)
- 3 Tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I chose a lemon-infused olive oil)
- 1 extra-full Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Rinse quinoa in several bowls of fresh water, using a fine sieve to contain the little seeds. Bring ½ cup lightly-salted water to a boil, add quinoa, reduce heat and simmer with the lid on for 12 minutes. Allow pot to sit, undisturbed for another 4 minutes. Remove lid and fluff the quinoa. Allow to cool.
In the meantime, toast almonds on a baking sheet in a pre-heated 350°F oven until fragrant and lightly browned, about 5 to 8 minutes. *Almonds can also be toasted stove top for approximately 5 minutes – watch closely and stir until nicely browned.
Whisk up the vinaigrette’s ingredients and allow the flavors to blend.
To a large bowl, add the greens, feta, onion (if using), quinoa, cranberries and toasted almonds. Toss with the dressing and serve immediately