I came home from the grocery store with my bag of purple potatoes in hand and Tim took one look at the bag and out of his mouth came “I’m not eating purple potatoes”. I smiled and said ok, I’m eating them! Why do I love purple potatoes?
- They are unusual – I like things outside the “norm”
- They are a pretty purple color (it’s a girl thing)
- They are healthier than white potatoes and rich in the antioxidant, anthocyanin. This flavonoid is most often found in blue, red and purple produce such as berries and pomegranates and has been shown to be an immune system booster.
- They taste good.
Yes, I am a purple potato eater and now I have officially eaten my first purple potato pizza. Enjoy!
Pizza Dough (Makes 2 large pizzas)
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (105-115 degrees F)
- 3-1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
In a 2-cup liquid measure, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Insert dough blade and add flour, salt and 2 teaspoons olive oil.
With machine running on dough speed, pour liquid through small feed tube as fast as flour will absorb it. Process until dough cleans sides of work bowl and forms a ball. Then process for 30 seconds to knead dough. Dough may be slightly sticky. Coat dough evenly with 2 teaspoons olive oil; transfer to a plastic food storage bag and seal the top. Let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes. While dough is rising, prepare any pizza toppings.
Place dough on lightly floured surface and punch down (this is the fun part). Roll into desired crust size and follow pizza recipe. Look how pretty the potatoes are before baking!
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 lb. browned sausage
- 6-8 small purple potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons Black Truffle Oil (or olive oil)
Preheat oven to 425.
Brown sausage with garlic and drain excess fat, reserving a small amount of fat in the pan. To the pan add chopped kale and saute until wilted. Wash purple potatoes and put in a pot, covered with cold water. Bring to a boil and boil for 8-10 minutes until tender. Drain, and allow to cool. Thinly slice the purple potatoes once cooled.
Once dough has risen and is shaped, prepare your pizza. Using a pastry brush, brush the Black Truffle Oil (or olive oil) over the dough. Add the mozzarella cheese, sausage, kale and thinly sliced purple potatoes. Place in a preheated 425 oven for approximately 20 minutes.