I went raspberry and black-raspberry picking this week-end and made 18 jars of jam and 9 jars of chocolate raspberry sauce. I remember picking black berries as a child – they were wild and the price was right – free! I don’t think it actually qualified as “picking” because I think I ate each one I picked. This time I just picked and picked and picked 14 pints of yummy berries. I had some black raspberries left after the jam was made and knew this recipe would be perfect. A bite of sunshine and summer in every bite, these bars are blissfully good! Enjoy!
These are easiest to cut once chilled, and store even better in the fridge than they do at room temperature.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Juice of one lemon
- 4 cups fresh black raspberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
3. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the black raspberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.