Wow … make that a double WOW! For so few ingredients and such an easy recipe this definitely gets a double wow for flavor. I was looking for something quick to make after work using ingredients I already had at home. I have a lot of swiss chard growing in the garden and I had bacon … and I always have pasta and garlic. I loved it! Give it a try, you can’t go wrong with a double WOW recipe! ENJOY!
- 1 pound penne
- 12 ounces bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices (I used only 3 slices of thick bacon)
- 1/2 – 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 6 stems from Swiss Chard, chopped
- 2 large bunches Swiss Chard, chopped (about 12 cups)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Cook penne in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking liquid. Meanwhile, cook bacon in heavy large pot over medium heat until beginning to crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Drain all but 2 tablespoons bacon drippings from skillet. Add onion, garlic and Swiss Chard stems and saute over medium-high heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Add Swiss chard and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the reserved 1 cup of pasta cooking liquid to skillet. Toss until chard is wilted and tender, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar over; cook 1 minute. Add penne and oil to sauce in pot and toss to coat. Transfer to large bowl. Sprinkle with bacon and cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Adapted from: Epicurious.com