Unfortunately my Mother and Dad don’t live close by. So when I do get to travel and visit them I always like to bake things they like and bring something special. This past trip I decided to make my mother a cookie bouquet. She has seen my cookies on my blog, but it’s not like seeing the real thing. And, after all, she is a very special mother and deserves a cookie bouquet! Why not try your hand at decorating cookies for someone special in your life by making a cookie bouquet. It really isn’t hard, you just need to invest some time and lots of love!
I also found another sugar cookie recipe which I like even better than the one I had been using. I do not use the “frosting” recipe that is along with the sugar cookies; I use royal icing which hardens nicely for decorated sugar cookies.
Recipe Source: food.com
Kittencal’s Buttery Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- For cookies; in a large bowl combine butter with sugar, eggs, vanilla and almond extract; beat using an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl combine the flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into the butter mixture until well blended.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Set oven to 400°F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (do not grease cookie sheets use parchment paper only).
- On a very lightly floured surface roll out the dough into about 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.
- Place cookies 2-inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 4-6 minutes.