I have to admit it … I’m addicted to Chipotle! I typically do not like “chain restaurants” (does that make me a food snob?) with the exception of Chipotle. Their food is fresh, good and addictive. If you don’t have Chipotle near you or you want to make a good steak taco and corn salsa at home then try this recipe. The corn salsa tastes almost exactly like Chipotle’s! ENJOY!
Chipotle Mexican Grill’s Ancho Chile Marinade
- 2 oz dried ancho chiles or dried pepper of choice
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbs fresh oregano, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red onion, quartered
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cuts of meat of choice, such as chicken or steak
- Soak dry chiles in water overnight or until soft. Discard water. Remove seeds.
- Add all ingredients except meat in food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Spread mixture over meat and refrigerate at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours.
- Heat grill to about 400 degrees, or if cooking inside heat small amount of oil in skillet or grill pan over high heat. Salt meat to taste. Grill meat about 4 minutes per side, depending upon thickness, until done.
- Serve with rice, black beans or choice of side dish. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Or serve in a burrito.
Just Like Chipotle’s Corn Salsa
makes a big bowl
- 6 ears of corn
- 2 medium-sized jalapeno, seeded and chopped (leave in some seeds for more heat if desired)
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, torn or chopped
- the juice of 2 (juicy!) limes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix, mix, mix. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Add more cilantro, jalapeno or lime according to your tastes!