What the world needs now, more than ever, is love and kindness. Bake some love for that special person in your life. Or better yet, bake it, decorate it and surprise someone who would least expect it and make them smile. A little kindness goes a long way.
I made these with my favorite sugar cookie recipe and filled them with M&Ms. They could be filled with any candy or even a note. I baked 5 large heart-shaped cookies. When the cookies cool slightly, take a smaller heart cookie cuter and cut out from 3 of the cookies – these will be used for your box. To assemble, I decorated one heart with royal icing for the bottom of the box. Immediately place your cut out cookie on top, pipe a small line of icing around the cookie and continue until all 3 cookies are stacked. The last cookie will be your lid. Let your imagination run wild and decorate however you like. Most of all … have fun!
Recipe Source: food.com
Kittencal’s Buttery Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- For cookies; in a large bowl combine butter with sugar, eggs, vanilla and almond extract; beat using an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl combine the flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into the butter mixture until well blended.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Set oven to 400°F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (do not grease cookie sheets use parchment paper only)
- On a very lightly floured surface roll out the dough into about 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.
- Place cookies 2-inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 4-6 minutes.
(I do not use the icing recipe that come with this cookie recipe. Most times I use Wilton’s Royal Icing recipe)
What a great idea, I love it!