I’ve not had much luck in finding a fantastic recipe for blueberry muffins. It seems that they weren’t sweet enough or too sweet, just not the way a blueberry muffin should be. That all changed when I found this recipe at sweetpeaskitchen.com. She posted a recipe for “Blueberriest Muffins” that were everything I wanted them to be … loaded with blueberries, moist, just the right amount of sweetness, and oh so delicious!
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 1 1/8 cups plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the topping: In a small bowl, stir together sugar and lemon zest; set aside.
- For the muffins: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring 1 cup blueberries and 1 teaspoon sugar to simmer. Cook, mashing berries with spoon and stirring frequently, until berries have broken down and mixture is thickened and reduced to ¼ cup, about 6 minutes. Transfer to small bowl and cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 1 1/8 cups sugar and eggs until thick, about 45 seconds. Slowly whisk in butter and oil until combined. Whisk in buttermilk and vanilla until combined. Using rubber spatula, gently fold egg mixture and remaining 1 cup blueberries into flour mixture until just moistened (do not overmix.)
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups (batter should completely fill cups and mound slightly). Spoon 1 teaspoon of cooked berry mixture into center of each mound of batter. Using a toothpick, gently swirl berry filling into batter. Sprinkle lemon sugar topping evenly over muffins.
- Bake until muffin tops are golden and just firm, 17 to 19 minutes, rotating halfway through baking time. Cool muffins in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool 5 minutes before serving.
Yields: 12 muffins
Recipe Source: Sweetpeaskitchen.com