As soon as I tasted this pasta I knew this would be a recipe I’d be making over and over again. Some of the most simple pasta recipes are also the best and this is no exception … the fresh basil is a must and takes it over the top! I did alter the original recipe slightly by replacing dried basil (dried basil is horrible) with fresh basil, increased the amount of garlic and cut the cream and used half and half. Enjoy!
- 1 package penne pasta
- 1 lb. mild bulk italian sausage
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/2 – 2 cans (14.5 oz each) Italian stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup Shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a separate pan, cook the sausage, garlic, onion, and pepper flakes over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, half and half, salt, and 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta; toss with sausage mixture.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Yield: 5 servings
Recipe Source: lilluna.com